and Penne Puerto Rican Style
What you need:
Makes 10 servings
1 box Barilla Penne
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 chicken breast halves
2 tablespoons all purpose seasoning
with annatto (adobo con achiote), divided
1 onion sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 cup green olives, pitted and drained
1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots
4 tablespoons cilantro, divided
Salt and pepper to taste
Grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
1. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Rub chicken with 1 tablespoon seasoning
3. Brown chicken for about 3 minutes each side.
4. Remove chicken, cut into 1-inch chunks and set aside.
5. In the same pan, add onion, garlic, peppers and the remaining seasoning. Sauté until onions are translucent, about 6 minutes.
6. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, olives, peas and carrots, 3 tablespoons cilantro, salt and pepper, and the chicken.
7. Lower heat to medium and cover. Cook for 20 minutes.
8. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
9. Add the pasta to the boiling salted water and cook per the box’s instructions.
10. Drain the pasta.
11. Toss the pasta with the sauce and the remaining cilantro.
12. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese.
(recipe as prepared with ziti – changing to Penne)